Netflix had grown to become one of the most used entertainment streaming App for movies and Tv shows. Streaming from any platform general is a data-consuming process so Netflix is not out of it. However, in this article, we shall be showing you how to reduce Netflix data usage on Android and IOS.
If have access to an unlimited Wi-Fi connection then you can go ahead and use Netflix without a reason to reduce data usage. If you use a normal monthly or weekly subscription plan then you have to reduce data usage to save cost.
How to Reduce reduce Netflix Data Usage
- Firstly, you’ll need to open your Netflix app and Sign In with your username and password.
- Once you’re signed in, you can now go ahead and tap on that three horizontal button at the bottom right side which says “More”.
- Here you will see that the automatic toggle at the top is turned on which means it alternates between WiFi only, saves data and Maximum Data. Automatic also selects a setting that balances data usage and video quality. You can watch about 4 hours per GB of data. Wi-Fi Only allows Stream only while connected to Wi-Fi. Save Data allows you to Watch about 6 hours per GB of data. Maximum Data chooses the highest possible quality for your device and the TV show or movie you’re watching.
- Next is to turn off the toggle besides automatic and Choose between WiFi Only, if you’re mostly connected to a WiFi network, or save data if you’re using an internet bundle which will automatically let Netflix use fewer data. Never choose maximum data and it allows the Netflix app to stream the video in the highest quality.
- After choosing either WiFi or Save data, Click on OK to save.
Read Also: How Do I Search For Movies On Netflix
Change Download Quality To reduce Netflix Data Usage
If you download TV shows and series on Netflix regularly, to be watched or re-watched at a later time then you’d find this very helpful. When it comes to downloading videos on Netflix, there are two types; The standard version and the high version.
The Standard version which downloads fast uses less storage and data but reduces video quality while the High Uses more storage, more data, and has a higher quality videos resolution. To choose, follow the steps below.
- Open the Netflix App and Click on More at the bottom right corner.
- Select App Settings and Choose Download Video Quality.
- You’ll be presented with two options; Standard or High
- Choose Standard. Doing this will make the videos your download on Netflix not only use less storage space on your phone but use less data while downloading.
Reduce Data Usage when streaming on Netflix
- Open the Netflix App
- Click on More
- Go to Account
- Open My Profile
- Playback Settings and then choose from the options which include Auto, Low, medium, and high. Low is the basic video quality, up to 0.3 G per hour. Medium is Standard video quality, uses up to 0.7 GB per hour. High has the best video quality although it still subdivided into 3 sections.
- Standard definition: up to1 GB
- High definition: up to 3 GB
- Ultra high definition (4K): up to 7 GB
If you want to reduce your data usage then you’d wanna stay with either auto or low which takes 0.3GB (about 300MB) for each hour you stream a video. Medium takes about 0.7GB per hour while high takes up to 3GB to 7GB per hour.
Low is okay if you’re not that into video quality or you can take it up to Medium if you want a higher quality video which will increase the data consumption.
Here is where we draw the curtain on today’s article on how to reduce Netflix Data usage on any device. We also added some extra tips for when you are streaming.